One Day…

Author’s Note: Today (and many days) I find I need a reminder – not just to accomplish the things that are on my to-do list, but also to remember what’s important in life when my days get busy. I’ve done this before and now I am tagging all these posts for easy recollection under “Things I’d like to Remember.” (In case you’re interested.)

Still shot taken during our family’s filming of the Toledo-Lucas County Public Library Commercial.

One day, I hope I can say that I gave enough of my time to my kids – enough time to teach them what I have to teach, while still factoring in enough freedom for them to also learn on their own.

One day, I hope I can say that I put priority and focus on my marriage – because I see how lucky I am to have found a partner for life and not just a partner in raising a family.

One day, I hope I can say that I reached high – not only for my family’s goals, but also for my own personal ones. I hope I can say that I took every opportunity that I was given (or fought hard to create) and went for it…

With NO regrets.

One day, I hope I can say that I did all I was meant to do – a profound goal in itself which may seem lofty and unattainable to some, yet I believe is able to be accomplished because doing it all…

Doesn’t mean doing it all perfect.

Life is all about about give and take…
and ongoing attempts to balance the imbalance,
while remembering to understand that mistakes are life’s greatest teachers.

Mistakes are meant to be learned from – not to be taken down from.

Most of all, one day I hope I can say… that throughout the majority of my life, even in knowing my own goals, that my focus was not always on the future, but on the present.

Because I am beginning to notice that the present goes by way too fast and deserves my undivided attention at all costs. Under no circumstance can I allow myself to forget the importance of the present and how it will effect…

One day.

Leave a Comment: How about you? One day, what do you hope you can say?

~

This week I am excited to be linking up with Yeah Writes, a weekly link up
that introduces smaller, personal blogs to new readers and commenters.
Visit Yeah Writes starting Wednesday and vote for your three favorite posts!
Maybe mine?

This entry was posted in Family, Motherhood, Things I'd Like to Remember and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to One Day…

1. angela says:

You said this really beautifully. As my kids are getting a little older, I think I’m finally starting to breathe a little and see that they can be my heart and my soul without being the sun in my universe. We’re learning balance as a family, and one day I hope I can say that I have shown love to those people most important to me and taught them how to dream big.
    angela recently posted..Ice Cream for Lunch

• Kate says:

Kids learn a lot by modeling what we do as parents. Is it safe to say that if we dream big then we are also teaching our kids to dream big? I think so… And in my mind this fact only helps to strengthen this reminder to myself. (Everyone needs a few life priority reminders every once in a while, right?)

2. I can really relate to this post! It’s so easy to let the days go by without appreciating what each one has to offer. Your post is reminding me to appreciate my day today a bit more. :)

• Kate says:

After reading about your “Sunday” I can understand why you can relate :). Monday’s are my crazy days, and I needed this reminder to live in the present even more today (on Tuesday after my busy Monday) then when I initially wrote this!

3. Focusing on the present: yes! I agree that we have to be mindful of the future, of our goals, and learn from our past mistakes, but living here, now is so important.

Gorgeous picture of your family!
    Missy @ Wonder, Friend recently posted..Six

4. Sisterhood of the Sensible Moms
    Twitter: SensibleMoms
    says:

What a lovely reflection on what you are doing, where you are going, and what you hope will be your legacy! We busy moms need to take the time to reflect on these things—it’s like a check under the hood—is everything going as planned or do we need to get some work done?

Your piece was also focused and easy to read. Nice post, Erin

• Kate says:

Thanks Erin… both for your comment and your feedback. I have been trying to be a little shorter in my my posts and more specific on my focus – so I really appreciate that you recognized this!

5. Susie Newday
    Twitter: newdaynewlesson
    says:

One day I hope to be at peace with living one day at a time in peace and gratitude.
    Susie Newday recently posted..You Don’t Always Need To Know The Reasons

• Kate says:

Some days I am better than others at living one day at a time… It can be a struggle keeping yourself present vs. looking in hindsight or looking ahead.

6. Andi Brown says:

I really needed this post. The remind, the encouragement. Well written, the flow was perfect. I’m taking in a deep breath….now I’m ready for what is in front of me.
    Andi Brown recently posted..Featured Photo Friday | Olives in Tuscany

7. tara pohlkotte
    Twitter: tarapohlkotte
    says:

it’s never about the being perfect as much as it is being present, isn’t it? such great reminders of what I want, and where I’m going. Lovely.
    tara pohlkotte recently posted..My Mother Lilacs and I

• Kate says:

And that is one thing I have decided I will never be: perfect. Once I let go of that notion of perfection, everything seemed to get so much easier (and way more fun!) :)

8. Mayor Gia
    Twitter: mayorgia
    says:

Aw, these are great “goals” (so to speak)!
    Mayor Gia recently posted..Dear Coworkers, Stop Sucking.

9. Loved this! Thanks for the reminder to keep hoping and dreaming…and most importantly, thanks for the reminder to live in the present. I sometimes think I wish my life away and forget to focus on the beauty of each day as it passes.
    Katie @ Chicken Noodle Gravy recently posted..Kaleidoscope

10. Kerstin
    Twitter: kerstinauer
    says:

A long time ago when I was in college I read something (in a comic of all things) :” The present is what slips by while we’re pondering about the past and worrying about the future.”
    It’s so true, it’s important to be in the present – I definitely don’t manage it often enough. I hope you do!
    Kerstin recently posted..Freak

11. Michelle Longo
    Twitter: michellelongo
    says:

This sums up something I’ve been thinking about quite a bit lately. Very well said.

12. Missy Olive says:

Awesome!

One day, I hope I can look back and appreciate the fact that I slowed my career down (and my earning potential) to enjoy my family.
    Missy Olive recently posted..What Inclusion Teaches Us

• Kate says:

I know I do. I definitely look back and appreciate the fact that I slowed my professional career down to focus on my personal life and family… it really worked well for me and our family’s goals. No regrets!? Right?

13. David Wiley
    Twitter: wiley_david
    says:

This is a great reminder to everyone to cherish those things. It really speaks to a lot of people because it truly is easy to get caught up in everything else, which makes us forget to cherish those little things. Like having a partner for life and not just for parenting. Thank you.
    David Wiley recently posted..Reject This

• Kate says:

I’m so glad you enjoyed the post David. There is much more to life then just professional success in my opinion. Even more important of a life goal is personal success and personal fulfillment.

14. Alison@Mama Wants This
    Twitter: AlisonSWLee
    says:

Sometimes, we just need to be.

One day, actually, every day, I want to just BE, at least for a few minutes a day.
    Alison@Mama Wants This recently posted..Sleep. No Sleep. Sleep.

• Kate says:

I couldn’t have said it better myself. Time to just “be” is just as important in order to happily (< ---key word) reach your life’s goals.

15. Katie E
    Twitter: euregirlsandboy
    says:

Oh, I so agree. I know I don’t always do a good job of just BEING in the present. There’s always so much going on. Thank you for writing this – I needed the reminder.
    Katie E recently posted..Random Wednesday #iPPP

16. Totally beautiful. And spot on. RIGHT NOW has such a huge impact on ONE DAY. And sometimes (ok, often) we need to remind ourselves of this.
    Missy | The Literal Mom recently posted..Fitting In

• Kate says:

You can tell when I am having crazy, crazy, CRAZY busy weeks when I post about inspiration and perspective obsessively over here at On-the-Go Momma :) Really, it has been a doozy of a couple of weeks and I just have really needed to give myself some writing reminders (therapy?) to help me gain (keep seeking?) some better balance and perspective.

I’m so glad you thought is was spot on!

17. Kindred Adventures
    Twitter: kindredadventur
    says:

Being present is the most important thing we can be to the people we love! Your words expressed it beautifully. I strongly believe that and making sure that the people we love know often how much we love them and what they mean to us. My most favorite quote…”When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, ‘I used everything you gave me’ “Erma Bombeck

18. Susan says:

oh, i’m so having the kind of week where i needed the reminder to slow down and breathe and appreciate what i have. thanks for this!
    Susan recently posted..Hidden Places

19. Ado says:

I can’t really comment on what I want to be or where I want to go because that family photo up there left me speechless. You all look so beautiful and happy I was stunned. I found myself doing that, Oh my God they’re PERFECT why can’t WE take a family photo like THEIRS where everybody’s LOOKING in the SAME DIRECTION and all groomed and stuff and Ella isn’t making one of her dramatic monkey faces??
    So – sorry – I was distracted by your photo. (-:
    Ado recently posted..Yes Virginia, Thin Mints DO Have Crack In Them

• Kate says:

You know what they say, don’t always judge a book by its cover – (a.k.s. there were professionals involved here – and that does NOT mean us! I’m talking make-up artists, trained camera men, oh… and phonominal grandmas to help with the “smile” factor).

I need to get the outtakes from the filming of the commercial – now THAT would give you the true “pages of the book!” :)

20. Kristin
    Twitter: kdwald
    says:

Oh I like that: The ongoing attempt to balance the imbalance. Absolutely!
    Kristin recently posted..Black Bubble Jacket Birthday

21. Shell says:

Love this! I get caught up in the planning. Or doing something because it will benefit us down the road and ignoring what’s right there in front of me. And I hate that.
    Shell recently posted..Things They Can’t Say: Scary Mommy

• Kate says:

Us “planners” do tend to get caught up in planning… I do the same thing. And I have discovered that I don’t think I am capable of stopping the “planning mechanism” in me, but what I am capable of is not ignoring the “now.” So I plan to dedicate myself more to the present – still plan, but also not let planning interfere with my current reality. There has to be room for flexibility in the plan. Great comment Shell.